Direct Loans are low-interest loans for a student's college education.. The lender is the U.S. Department of Education, though the entity you deal with, your loan servicer, can be a private business.
It is important you plan your financial needs ahead of time to ensure you receive the loan funds you need to cover the entire enrollment period.
How to Qualify For Loan:
- Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov
- Enroll at least half-time (6 or more credits)
- Be making Satisfactory Academic Progress
- Have a complete MPN on file with the Department of Education
New Borrowers: complete an MPN at studentloans.gov:
- Sign In using the same four digit pin# used for the FAFSA Application
- Complete Entrance Counseling if you are a first time student loan borrower
- Complete the Master Promissory Note: It takes approximately 30 minutes and must be completed in one session.
- Select Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loans
5. Complete a Loan Request Form:
Emailed to your BC3 account once we receive your student loan information.
Before requesting an amount, consider the cost of tuition, books, and other financial aid you are receiving so you do not over-borrower.
Information about Loans:
Standard Loan Certification Amounts:
Freshman (0-29 credits) $3500 Full Year $1750 One Semester
Sophomore (30 and over) $4500 Full Year $2250 One Semester
*Additional unsubsidized loan amounts must be requested in writing.
6.8% Direct Subsidized Loans for undergraduates with a first disbursement date between July 1, 2012, and June 30, 2013.
6.8% Direct Subsidized Loans for graduate students and Direct Unsubsidized Loans for all students.
Note: Rates are subject to change.
Parent PLUS Loans:
Complete the Application at www.studentloans.gov
- Sign In using Parent PIN#
- Click Complete Master Promissory note
- Click Parent PLUS and complete the application
- Be sure to list the parent as the borrower and the student under student!
Bridge the gap when a student’s financial aid award is not enough to cover the COA.
To select a private alternative education loan, it’s best to do your own research:
Students applying for a private alternative loan must complete the Private Loan Self Certification Form and submit it to your lender.
Get Started With Financial Aid
* required field
* Last Name
Financial Aid Resources
Federal School Code: 003240
Financial Aid Office
Butler County Community College
107 College Drive
Butler PA 16003
Monday thru Friday
8am - 4pm
Viewing Financial Aid Forms
Many of our forms are .pdf files.
Adobe Reader free software is required to read and print them.