Healthcare Program Admission
BC3 has four selective admissions programs in the Shaffer School of Nursing and Allied Health which include:
- Nursing (RN).
- Physical Therapist Assistant.
- Medical Assistant.
- Massage Therapy.
Applicants must meet eligibility criteria and complete a separate application for admission to their program of choice.
Applications and Guidelines
Medical Assistant, Certificate or Associate of Applied Science Degree
- 2.50 GPA minimum.
There are 20 seats available at the Main Campus and 12 seats available at BC3 @ Lawrence Crossing, New Castle.
To apply to the Main Campus Medical Assistant program, please print the application (PDF).
To apply to the BC3 @ Lawrence Crossing Medical Assistant program, please print the application (PDF).
Nursing (R.N.), Associate in Applied Science Degree
August 1st, 2019 – General Applicants for Fall 2020 for main campus and BC3 @ Brockway.
Download the Nursing Application
October 31st, 2019 – General Applicants for Fall 2020 for main campus and BC3 @ Brockway.
Early Acceptance Program
Prospective Nursing students who have a 3.25 GPA minimum in addition to Anatomy and Physiology I and II completed with a “B” or better grade, and 6 Pre-Nursing support credits at the time of application may be eligible for Early Acceptance to the Nursing Program.
General applicants - Mid-February for the following fall semester
Advanced Standing applicants - Early June for the following fall semester
Special Admission Requirements
- 2.80 cumulative GPA minimum
- Chemistry with a lab in the last 5 years at high school or college level passed with a "C" or better. (Suggested BC3 course: CHEM 112: Descriptive Chemistry)
- Biology with a lab in the last 5 years at high school or college level passed with a "C" or better. (Suggested BC3 courses include: BIOL 101: Biology I, BIOL 116: Human Biology, or BIOL 131: Anatomy and Physiology I)
- Advanced Standing Applicants: LPNs ONLY - Must have a valid Pennsylvania Practical Nursing license with applicable work or clinical experience within one year of application
- Advanced Standing Transfer Applicants: from another Nursing Program ONLY - Coursework and clinical experience comparable to NURS 101: Nursing 1: Introduction to Nursing Care at BC3 within one year of application.
Physical Therapist Assistant, Associate in Applied Science Degree
- 2.80 GPA minimum
- High school or college level Biology and Algebra
- 20 hours of shadowing experience with a Physical Therapist (PT) or Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA)
- 2 Letters of Recommendation: One from a PT or PTA and the other from an Employer or Teacher
Note: Successful completion of BIOL 131: Anatomy and Physiology I and BIOL 132: Anatomy and Physiology II (if possible) are highly encouraged when making application.
There are 30 seats available for this program at the Main Campus. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis
Please print the PTA application and complete the form below to receive envelopes for your Letters of Recommendation.
Massage Therapy, Workplace Certificate or Associate of Applied Science Degree
- 2.50 GPA minimum
- Biology with a lab in the last 10 years at high school or college level (Suggested BC3 courses include: BIOL 101: Biology I, BIOL 116: Human Biology, or BIOL 131: Anatomy & Physiology I)
- Students who have completed BIOL 131: Anatomy & Physiology I with a “C” or higher will have priority consideration
There are 12 available seats at the Main Campus for this program.
To apply to the Massage Therapy program, please print the application (PDF).
Technical Trades: Radiologic Technology, Associate of Applied Science Degree
The Technical Trades: Radiologic Technology degree is a partnership between BC3 and
Sharon Regional Medical Center: A Steward Family Hospital.
Students receive their clinical and didactic training hours at the hospital, which culminates in 33 credits transferred toward degree requirements. In addition, they complete 27 academic credits at BC3. In combination, BC3 awards the Associate in Applied Science degree required for graduates to sit for their ARRT national certification examination.
Taking credits at BC3 does not guarantee acceptance in to the highly competitive radiography programs. Those interested in these partnerships should visit the following website for further information on the hospital’s admissions criteria, application procedures, and deadlines.
Questions about selective healthcare program admission can be directed to: